Get an amazing ab rehab stat. This lower ab workout from better-belly specialist Elisabeth Halfpapp, a founder of Exhale Mind Body Spa in New York City, combines seven exercises that will work your midsection, including the transversus abdominis, 360 degrees — “which is the key for slimming your waist.” Both our testers experienced roomier waistbands (our apple-shaped tester lost an inch; our new mom lost two) after a month by doing three-times-a-week sessions. Now it’s your turn to be firm, flat, fab!
Targets: Rectus and transversus abdominis, obliques, and inner thighs.
- Lie on left side on floor with legs stacked and a rolled-up towel between thighs, propping torso on left elbow so that left forearm is perpendicular to torso. Make it easier: Stagger feet so that side of right foot is on floor in front of left foot for a wider base of support.
- Lift hips so that body forms a straight line from head to toe and squeeze towel between thighs. Hold for 1 count, then lower.
- Do 10 reps. Switch sides and repeat. Do 3 sets.
Targets: Rectus and transversus abdominis
- Sit on a folded towel on floor with shoulder blades against a wall and knees bent, feet flat; make sure back is rounded. Place hands on floor near hips, fingertips pressed into floor.
- Squeeze abs and lift feet off floor, bring knees toward chest, then straighten legs so toes point toward ceiling. Do 10 pulses: Bring legs 1 inch closer to wall, then move them back 1 inch. Make it easier: Keep left foot on floor and bring extended right leg toward you by grasping right calf with both hands. Hold for 30 seconds; switch legs and repeat.
- Do 3 sets.